Saturday 5 May 2012

Today was the first of a series of open days we will be running at LEDDA (Leanne Elms Drama and Dance Academy) and it was a rip-roaring success!

This was my first real milestone in my role as Head of Singing - obviously I have been Musically Directing LEDDA's upcoming show MUSICAL MADNESS, and nurturing my gorgeous students week by week.

BUT: within the context of the open day I had less that 30 minutes with each age group to inspire a completely new group of students, whose confidence, experience, background and skillset were a completely unknown quantity!

I am pleased to say the day itself was fantastic, and it filled me with pride to see my LEDDA kids rising to the challenge, setting a good example for the visitors and taking them under their wing.

Singing-wise I did a few versions of my own glee-style mash-up (or medley, for us old-fashioned types); increasing the complexity with the age group.

The mash-up was to a piano-ballad arrangement of Firework by Katy Perry, mixed with I Gotta Feeling by the Black-Eyed Peas, mixed with Paparazzi by Lady Gaga

Amazingly everybody, picked it up so quickly, and it was hugely rewarding to see how much they enjoyed putting a new slant on tunes they know and love. Best of all was hearing them singing it as they left to go home. All in all, a highly creative and rewarding day.


No comments:

Post a Comment